Saturday, February 26, 2011

Fall color in Rocky Mountain National Park

Continuing on on my quest to catch up with uploading images, here are some from a small visit to RMNP in fall. I described one image from this same visit a while ago and I still owe you many waterfall images from that day. The images below are from a little grove of aspen trees that is near the Fall River road. The bark on the trunks of these trees gets eaten by the many elk (basically very large dear for those not familiar with these animals - see an image of a few here on my flickr stream) that reside in these valleys which is why you see the darker area stop at a certain height.

Fall in RMNP
Assembled from 9 images at 70 mm, f/16, 1/30s, ISO 200.

It was raining when I was shooting these images and it was a real challenge keeping my gear dry. I put a black and white version of this image here. As always, clicking on the images will take you to a larger version.

This is a closeup shot of some trunks that I thought formed some nice geometric patterns.
Lines
Single shot. 70 mm, f/16, 1/30s, ISO 200.

Another closeup but including some more leaves.
Leaves
Single shot. 70 mm, f/16, 1/25s, ISO 200.

This is a horizontal view of the group of aspen but from much farther away.
Group
Assembled from 9 images at 70 mm, f/11, 1/30s, ISO 200.

From the same position but much longer lens
Sea
Assembled from 9 images at 160 mm, f/11, 1/30s, ISO 200.

After wiping the front elements of my lenses dry and packing up, I moved on to a waterfall called the Alluvial Fan that is just up the road from here. More from that place later.

1 comment: