Saturday, January 12, 2013

Freezing my fingers off at Lake Haiyaha

Last Sunday the 30th I went for a sunrise hike to Lake Haiyaha followed by Lake Emerald and above. I have already posted a few images from this trip here and here. I have several more nice images to share from Emerald later but first I want to share a few more images from Haiyaha. Haiyaha is apparently a native American word for rock, which is quite apt as the lake is bordered by lots of really large boulders left by the glacier that carved this valley and is still found higher up in tiny 'Chaotic glacier' which is more like a snowfield. It's visible in the image I posted before. As always I waited a while for the sunrise to come and got shivering cold too lately realizing that I had handwarmers in my backpack - another lesson learned ;-).

Hallett on ice
Hallett on ice. Buy a print. On flickr, On Facebook, On G+/Picasa.
Nikon D600 on tripod, Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 at 24mm, f/16, 1/13s, ISO 100

The ice on the lake had all these domed structures over large rocks beneath the ice where it had frozen over before and the water level receded creating small pyramids or domes over the rocks.

Lake Hayiaia sunrise panorama
Lake Hayiaia sunrise panorama. Buy a print. On flickr. On facebook. On G+/Picasa.
Stitched from 15 handheld images. Nikon D600, Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 at 24mm, f/11, 1/50s, ISO 100.

The above image shows about 230 degrees of the view on the lake.

Hallett hat
Hallett hat. Buy a print. On flickr. On facebook. On G+/Picasa.
Nikon D600 on tripod, Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 at 42mm, f/11, 1/30s, ISO 100.

I like this more close-up view of the peak. Next up will be some images on the ice of Emerald. Those are my favorites from this hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment